Diverticular Problems

Many people have small pouches in their colons that bulge outward through weak spots. Each pouch is called a diverticulum (plural is diverticula). The condition of having diverticula is called diverticulosis. The condition becomes more common as people age. When the pouches become infected or inflamed, the condition is called diverticulitis. Diverticulosis and diverticulitis are also called diverticular disease.