Are you caring for someone at home?

Many frail older people, or people with a disability, need support so that they can live independently in their own home. They may be looked after by a carer who could be their spouse, partner, family member, neighbour or friend.

Are you a carer?

A carer is someone who cares for people who have a disability, mental illness, chronic illness or are older and frail, and are unable to look after themselves. Caring for a frail older person or a person with a disability can be very hard, and carers may need a break, advice and support to help them cope with their caring role. If you are a carer, you can get support through HACC and other services such as:

  • Respite care: This service gives carers a break while a respite worker looks after the person needing care. The person being cared for can receive respite care in their home or in a day respite centre. In most cases respite care is planned ahead, but it may be provided as an emergency service.
  • Support and information: This service helps a carer find longer term respite such as temporary accommodation in a residential aged care facility or in some regions at the local hospital. The service can help find the most appropriate respite place for the person needing care. This allows carers to have a longer break from their caring responsibilities.

Am I eligible for a HACC service?

You may be eligible for a HACC service if you are caring for someone who is a frail older person, or a person of any age who has a moderate to severe disability.

How do I get a HACC service?

Your doctor or hospital, a family member, friend or you personally can contact Commonwealth Carelink or your local HACC service coordinator and tell them that you need a service. The agency will then arrange an assessment of your needs.

Will I have to pay for a HACC service?

Each HACC service has its own policy on fees, but most services require a small contribution, depending on your situation. Special consideration is given to people with limited finances.

Other support services for carers

Carers can also get support from other agencies such as Carers Queensland: Offers carer support groups, carer counselling, free resources, training and information. Contact the Commonwealth Carer Resource Centre: Can give you information and advice about services and other forms of help and support. Contact: 1800 242 636* (Freecall business hours)

Carers' Kit – An information kit full of advice on caring at home is available to carers free of charge from the Commonwealth Carer Resource Centre (see number above).

Commonwealth Carer Respite Centres: Can be contacted on: 1800 059 059* (Freecall 24 hours).

Other carer support organisations: There are carer support organisations out there to help you. For contact details of some of these see below, or talk to your local HACC coordinator. Financial support is available for carers in the form of a Carer Allowance and Carer Payment. Contact Centrelink on: 13 2717 * Calls from mobile phones are charged at applicable rates.

Some helpful contacts for carers

  • ARAFMI – Association of Relatives and Friends of the Mentally Ill 3254 1881 (24 hours)
  • Alzheimer's Association of Queensland 3857 4043 or 1800 639 331* (Dementia Helpline - Freecall 24 hours)
  • Brain Injury Association of Queensland 3367 1049 (Brisbane callers) or 1800 673 074* (Freecall business hours)
  • Council on the Ageing, Queensland 3221 6822
  • Parkinson's Disease Queensland Inc. 3397 7555 or 1800 644 189* (Freecall business hours)
  • Queensland Aged and Disability Advocacy Inc. 3637 6000 (Brisbane callers) or 1800 818 338* (Freecall business hours for country callers)